Some people love February 14, in all its pink-blouse-and-red-sweater glory; others resent its existence and wish it would just disappear from the calendar. For those not celebrating romantic love today, I offer some alternatives:
- Honor ancient history by hosting or attending a feast of Saint Valentinus.
- If regular candy hearts are too sappy for you, consider BitterSweets, or make your own.
- Sasha Cagen introduced the concept of the QuirkyAlone personality — which requires a lot of quality solitary time — in her essay in To-Do List magazine. This grew into an international social movement that inspired a holiday and a book.
- Another alternative holiday is V-Day, founded by Eve Ensler to raise awareness of violence against girls and women.
- If you’re not in the mood for romantic music, you’ve got ten alternatives.
- Tomorrow is Singles’ Awareness Day.
- Unless you change your mind about Valentine’s Day, don’t look at a big list of ideas and helpful suggestions.